- Flour Mixture
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Texas Rio Star Grapefruit, sectioned
- 2 Texas Oranges, sectioned
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled with tail on
- 6 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon julienned orange zest
- 3 cups spinach
- salt and black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine ingredients and set aside.
- Section grapefruit and oranges and retain juice in a bowl.
- Season juice liberally with salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk in olive oil to form vinaigrette (2 parts juice to 1 part oil). Drizzle vinaigrette on sections to marinate.
- Preheat sauté pan over high heat. Dredge shrimp in flour mixture. Add two tablespoons olive oil to pan. Brown one layer of shrimp until golden brown, then turn over. Brown other side, and turn pan out onto cookie sheet.
- Add ¼ cup olive oil to hot sauté pan. Drain pan juices from cookie sheet into sauté pan. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until light brown. Add jalapeño peppers and cook until soft. Add basil and cook less than one minute to crisp. Add orange zest. Season to taste.
- Arrange shrimp over citrus and spoon garlic/jalapeño/basil mixture over shrimp. Toss spinach with citrus vinaigrette and mound on top of shrimp.